Surprisingly, when I first began in prison ministry I was shocked to discover so many inmates that were Christians. I wrongly assumed they probably did not know God in order for them to commit this crime. Boy, was I WRONG! The enemy found them wandering aimlessly away from God and His TRUTH. Many inmates know their Bible, they were raised in the faith and yet they wandered and fell victim to the world of sin. We are all helpless, vulnerable and open to attack when we wander away from God and His Truth.
We are wrapping up our summer long Persevering With Purpose James series.
This weeks final topic is:"Rescuing the Wanderer!" James 5:19-20
- I am guilty myself, of being wayward as a believer from one time or another. How about you? Many of these inmates are thankful that they are incarcerated. Yes, you heard me right - several are thankful they were rescued by God. Rescued from their life of drugs and crime and now have a "time-out" to return to God. Often I hear; "Thank you for rescuing me or else I would be dead."
James is clear...
"My dear friends, if you know people who have wandered off from God's truth, don't write them off. Go after them. Get them back and you will have rescued precious lives from destruction and prevented an epidemic of wandering away from God."
James 5:19-20 (Message)
Will you help us? We are no fool to the enemies' ways... helping the wayward is a spiritual battle which begins with the power of prayer. Will you pray for the message, and our prison ministry as we rescue the wandering inmates and bring them back to the cross?
Pray for all of us... that God would show us how to rescue those in our own personal families that are wayward and help lead them back to Christ.
Please pray for the Prison service:
- That God would hand-pick and invite the inmates to come - pray for continued "room-busting" attendance!
- Good listening, good timing and no distractions
- Laughter, love and surrendering to Christ.
- Thankful worship
- Pray that the enemy would be bound by God and rendered helpless in these inmate's lives.
- Freedom in the Holy Spirit during the message - God's Spirit would flow like a river through the prison!
- EVERYONE WOULD BE RESCUED FROM WANDERING AND COME BACK TO GOD'S TRUTH!
Please realize the impact of your actions... By getting on your knees in prayer, you are doing for the prison what James said... "Rescuing precious lives from destruction!"
It just doesn't get any better than that!